South Beach On The Cheap

Following the South Beach Diet on a budget. I will be buying most of my food at Aldis, clearance and sales at other markets.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Losing Weight On a Budget


I am beginning my weight loss journey on Monday. I will be following the South Beach Diet.  I have been reading Dr. Agatston’s newest take on the diet called:

 The South Beach Wake-UpCall: Why America Is Still Getting Fatter and Sicker, Plus 7 Simple Strategies for Reversing Our Toxic Lifestyle

I will be purchasing most of my food at Aldis Grocery Store. For those of you who don’t know what Aldis is here is some information for you. Aldis is owned by the same company that brings us Trader Joes. They are a very simple store with their own brands for the most part. You have to bring a quarter to use their grocery cart and bring your own bags. I have been buying a lot of groceries there in the last year. Most everything we have got there has been good. There are a few things that Mr. SBL doesn’t like but it’s stuff I wouldn’t eat anyways.

To give you an idea about money savings I bought a gallon of milk there today for $2.49,as opposed to $3.49 at most other grocers in town. I was trying to mainly only buy things that I will be eating starting Monday for the Phase 1 of South Beach. 

Here is a list of what I bought:
Muenster Cheese slices $2.19
Swiss Cheese slices $2.19
Provolone Cheese slices $2.19
All cheese slices were 1 pound packages and with 6gm of fat per slice
Baby Spinach 99 cents ----- same size as the Dole Bags of salad.
Wild Caught Salmon frozen $4.49 for 1 lb.
Broccoli 16 ounces of Crowns fresh $1.69
Green Beans 16 oz. Fresh $1.69
 And their imatation of a certain very tasty low fat speadable cheese in a round package for $1.49!

Here are some other things I picked up at other stores
Bakers:
Grape Tomatoes 2 for $5.00
Large Eggs 79 cents


Bag N Save
Low Fat Sour Cream $ 1.69
Low Fat Cottage Cheese $1.79
Skim Milk Ricotta Cheese $1.69


Anyway you get the picture I spent less than seventy bucks and brought home a ton of food. Lots of things were staples that I am going to need that will last more than a week.

After I left Bag N Save I went across the street to Goodwill and laid down 5 bucks for a Snuggli and a new flannel shirt since I am freezing my ass off today. Nebraska weather don’t you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment